The new documentary shows a revealing look at the Cuban leader through the eyes of the agents who tracked him for more than half a century (Spanish)
MIAMI, – Famous for being one of the most controversial political figures in world history, Fidel Castro has survived decades of intrigue and conspiracies. In a new documentary, Discovery en Español examines Castro’s life and personality from the unique perspective of the spies who followed his every move for more than half a century. FIDEL CASTRO EN LA MIRA premieres Sunday, October 25 at 10PM E/P during the network’s Emmy Award winning Discovery a Fondo (#Afondo) investigative block.
The one-hour special includes exclusive interviews with KGB agents, CIA analysts, Cuban intelligence operatives, and exiles from the island who conspired both for and against Castro and kept a close eye on his movements. Spanning more than 50 years of history, these figures share their experiences, intimate anecdotes and first-hand information about the secret war to derail the Cuban Revolution with recollections that help build a more complete picture of the life and psychology of the man behind the legend.
Key figures interviewed in FIDEL CASTRO EN LA MIRA include:
- Brian Latell: Former intelligence officer who began tracking Castro in 1964 for the CIA.
- Chris Simmons: Senior Counter Intelligence Specialist at the Defense Intelligence Agency. He was an important player in the counterintelligence effort against Cuba from 1996-2004.
- Félix Rodriguez: Former CIA official who was involved in the Bay of Pigs invasion and the capture of Che Guevara.
- Peter Kornbluh: Director of the Cuban Documentation Project at the National Security Archive.
- Domingo Amuchástegui: Former Cuban diplomat and spy.
- Nicolai Leonov: Former Senior KGB officer who knew both Fidel and Raul Castro in the revolution’s early days.
- Antonio Veciana: Cuban exile who was head of the Anti-Castro movement Alpha 66 movement, and was involved in several assassination attempts on Castro.
- Oleg Nechiporenko: Retired Colonel from the KGB. He also advised Cuban Intelligence officials on spying techniques during 1970s.
FIDEL CASTRO EN LA MIRA is produced by Pacha Films for Discovery en Español under the supervision ofMichela Giorelli. For Pacha Films, Luis del Valle serves as executive producer and William Hicklin as director.